Slavgorod district is located in the southern part of Mogilev Oblast 68 km from the Oblast center Mogilev and covers the area of 1.3 thousand km2. Administratively, the district is divided into five village councils, borders four districts of Mogilev and two districts of Gomel Oblasts.
The district is located within the south-eastern part of the Orsha-Mogilev upland in the basin of the Pronya and Sozh Rivers. There are many rivers in the district. The total area of rivers and canals in the district covers 1,113 hectares. The area of lakes and reservoirs in the district is 655 hectares. The district has several deposits of peat, sandy gravel, and the Gayshin deposit of writing chalk. The area belongs to the territories affected by the Chernobyl disaster.
The Slavgorod land has the centuries-long history. The City of Slavgorod (former Propoisk, Proposhesk, Prupoy) was first mentioned in 1136 in the Statute of the Smolensk Prince Rostislav Mstyslavych as Proposhesk, which was first a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, then Mstislavsky Voivodship, where it was the center of the Propoisk starostwo (eldership). In September 1772, the Propoisk starostwo was attached to the Russian Empire and was soon donated soon donated by Catherine II to Prince A. Galicin, after which it became a private estate. Slavgorod district (until 1945, Propoisk district) was established in 1924. The famous village Lesnaya is located 15 km north of Slavgorod. Here, during the Northern War in 1700-1721, the Russian troops under the command of Peter I defeated the Swedish Corps of General Levengauta and foiled the Moscow campaign of the Swedish king Charles XII. In honor of the victory over the Swedes a bronze monument in the form of an eagle overriding an enemy banner was erected in the village Lesnaya.
There is a natural monument of republican value Golubaya Krynitsa in the district. The well was described in 1912 by the ethnographer E. Romanov, and a poetic legend was added to it. The well is a small picturesque lake with a diameter of 20-25 m, surrounded by lindens, oaks, black alders with hazelnut and willow. The water in the lake has an unusual bluish-emerald color and comes to the surface from a depth of 100-200 meters. The Golubaya Krinitsa water is of high drinking quality, and, according to the Institute of Geochemistry and Geophysics of Belarus Academy of Sciences can be used as a standard for groundwater purity. There are 11 hydrological monuments of local importance in the area and the peat fields Dubrovskoe, Zhuravel, Smotrovo, Zabrozhe, Vysokaya Griva, Khvoschi, Petrochenkov Ugol, Vygar, Vzmutnoye, Tupnitskoe, and Sventsino.
As of January 1, 2017, 12.994 thousand people were living in the district, including urban population – 7.8 thousand and rural – 5.2 thousand. The number of people employed in the economy on January, 1, 2017 was 4,870 people, 12% in industry and 30% in agriculture. The share of employed in private enterprises and individual entrepreneurship was 7%.
The economic complex of the district is agrarian. In the revenue structure of products, goods, works and services, the share of agriculture is 44.9%, trade – 32.6%, construction – 10.8%, and industry – 9.7%.
The primary role in the development of the economy of the district belongs to the agro-industrial complex. The district's specialization is the dairy cattle breeding with the developed grains and feed crops cultivation.
The agro-industrial complex of Slavgorod district includes 11 agricultural enterprises. As of September 1, 2017, 183 business entities were registered in the area, including 46 legal entities (in particular 8 farms) and 137 individual entrepreneurs.
The main strategic areas for the district's development are the agricultural development, the development of favorable environment for small businesses and the creation of conditions for the development of tourism services. A number of activities are planned aimed at both the creation of new enterprises and the expansion of existing ones, the development of their material and technical base, and the use of local raw materials for production.
Slavgorod is a twinned town with the city of Arzamas (Russian Federation), and a cooperation agreement has been signed with Jelgava district (Republic of Latvia). Slavgorod district has a long-standing partnership with the district of Cham (Bavaria), the German cities of Waldmunhen, Roding and Bad Schwalbach, and the Italian cities of Montevarchi and Terni. The cooperation agreement between the People's University of the District of Cham (Germany) and the Slavgorod District Executive Committee has been signed.
The competitive advantages of the district include the presence of the natural monument of republican importance Golubaya Krynitsa, as well as the Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus of June 8, 2015, No.235 “On the Social and Economic Development of Southeastern Parts of Mogilev Oblast”, which provides a number of preferences for businesses.
Local Economic Development Plan 2019-2020